Location of TCUs
Tribal Colleges and Universities (TCUs), institutions created and chartered by Native American tribes or the federal government, play an important role in postsecondary access and success for Native students. In 2017–18, there were 37 TCUs spread across more than 75 main, branch, and satellite campuses located throughout the United States. In fall 2017, TCUs enrolled over 15,500 undergraduate and graduate students, of whom 85.9 percent were American Indian or Alaska Native. The remaining 14.1 percent of students were from other racial or ethnic backgrounds.
Race and Ethnicity in Higher Education: 2020 Supplement
Chapter Two: Tribal Colleges and Universities: Serving Native Students in Higher Education
Link to Chapter PDF
Chapter Two Data Tables Download (XLSX) 46 KB
Source: American Indian Higher Education Consortium, American Indian Measures of Success, 2017-18
In 2017-18, there were 37 Tribal Colleges and Universities (TCUs). Figure includes 41 total TCUs, as four institutions have branch campuses in other states.